The new Mechatronics, Engineering and Advanced Manufacturing (MEAM) program is a 4 year program of study that offers high school students the opportunity to take classes in mechatronics, advanced manufacturing (machining, CNC programing and operation), robotics, engineering, coding, CAD, CAM, electronics. MEAM students learn at Raritan Valley Community College’s (RVCC) newly constructed Advanced Manufacturing Facility. Located on RVCC’s Branchburg, New Jersey campus, this state of the art facility is equipped with the latest in advanced manufacturing, engineering, robotics and mechatronics equipment.
MEAM industry partners collaborate to create industry-relevant learning experiences as well as to provide students with real world projects. This assures that MEAM students graduate with the skills necessary to enter the workforce or continue their education to earn their Associate’s Degree at RVCC. Students earning their Associate’s Degree can then transfer to NJIT to earn a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Engineering Technology.
Whichever pathway MEAM graduates choose, they will be well prepared for a rewarding career in the fields of Mechatronics, Engineering and/or Advanced Manufacturing.
Target Industry Certifications
Successful students will be prepared to sit for the following industry certification exams:
- OSHA 10 Hour Safety Certification
- National Institute for Metal Working Skills (NIMS Certificates)
- NIMS Certificate 1: Measurement, Materials and Safety
- NIMS Certificate 2: Job Planning, Benchwork & Layout
- NIMS Certificate 7: Drill Press Skills
- NIMS Certificate 3: Milling 1
- NIMS Certificate 4: Turning Operations: Turning Between Centers
- NIMS Certificate 5: Turning Operation: Turning, Chucking Skills
- NIMS Certificate 6: Grinding Skills
- NIMS Certificate 9: CNC Milling: Programming Setup & Operations
- NIMS Certificate 11: CNC Milling Operator
- NIMS Certificate 8: CNC Turning: Programming Setup & Operations
- NIMS Certificate 10: CNC Turning: Operator
- LabView Certified Associate Developer
- LRI Soft Skills Certificate
Graduating students will be prepared to:
- Enter the workforce in the field of mechatronics.
- Potential to enter the industry as an entry-level Manual and CNC machine operator.
- Continue their post secondary education with partners such as RVCC and NJIT in the field of Engineering.
- Continue their post secondary education with partners such as RVCC and NJIT in the field of Engineering Technology.
- Continue their post secondary education in RVCC's Advanced Manufacturing program.
Graduating students will possess:
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to use their knowledge of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and computer science in order to design a mechatronic system, component or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints.
- An ability to use their knowledge of advanced manufacturing techniques (such as CNC machining and 3D printing) to construct a working prototype of their design.
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context
- A recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in lifelong learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice