Will the Cosmetology program be a good fit for my son or daughter?
- This program, is for students in grades 9-12 within Somerset County that want to pursue a license in the field of Cosmetology. Students obtain 1,000 hours of comprehensive knowledge though the recommended science course, as well as coursework both theory and practical. Additionally, once students obtain a permit they will be encouraged to work on clients during our scheduled clinic time at our salon “Styles at Somerset”.
How does the Cosmetology program work?
- Students will apply to the program during their 8th grade year or during their freshman year. Based on entrance exams, attendance records, grades, and discipline, students are admitted to the program as freshman and sophomores with the option to attend Vo-Tech shared or full time. During your child’s Senior year they will take a written State exam where they must score at least a 75%. All students that score at least a 75% will move on to take the practical exam. Students will apply for their license through the school with verification of passing scores. Please note any student enrolled in the program as a Sophomore will be part of the accelerated curriculum and absences may hinder the receival of the Cosmetology license.
How is the New Jersey state approved vocational Cosmetology program different from an adult program?
- Any student enrolled in a high school will need to obtain 1,000 hours to take both the written and practical exam. Any adult enrolled in an adult program will need to obtain 1,200 hours in order to take both exams.
What are the requirements for entry?
- Students must submit an application to our school prior to the deadline. Students must not have any major discipline incidences as well as excessive absences. Additionally, students must be in good academic standing. Any student who submits an application will partake in our entrance testing. Students take an entrance exam for both English and Math. Students must score at least a 7.0 on both assessments.
My child did not have any major discipline incidences, excessive absences, and is in good academic standing, however, they scored below the required 7.0 on the admission testing. Is there anything they can do to receive a spot in the program?
- Any student who scored between a 5.0-6.9 will be invited to a practical day where they will be able to showcase their skills as well as receive an interview from our Cosmetology staff.
How does my child get to vo-tech?
- Transportation is provided by the sending district. Questions about transportation may be directed to the transportation department at the sending district.
What are the costs to the parent?
- During your child's first year in the program one will need to purchase a Cosmetology Kit ($140), a smock ($21), as well as black rubber soled shoes and solid black scrub pants. Cosmetology kit and smock should last your child through all 3-4 years in the program.
Please check out our Cosmetology Student Handbook for more information regarding the day to day operations within the shop.