Registration for the EMT Program is Now OPEN
RWJBarnabas Health is a proud provider of initial EMT training for individuals that are 16 years or older. This hospital network offers training throughout New Jersey all year long and a list of their offerings along with FAQ’s can be found at www.rwjbh.org/emttraining.
Since 2008, RWJBarnabas offers a Somerset County Youth in EMS Emergency Medical Technician Program in partnership with Somerset County Vo-Tech, the Somerset County Board of Chosen Freeholders, Raritan Valley Community College, and the Somerset County Chief EMS Officers’ Association. This is an expedited course that is academically demanding and is for Somerset County high school students interested in earning valuable credentials to serve their community on a local rescue squad.
To be eligible for participation, students must be:
- At least 16 years old before the first class session.
- Residents of Somerset County and currently attend high school.
- Able to attend 100% of the class sessions as per state regulation. Course schedules are posted at www.rwjbh.org/emttraining.
- Prepared to complete all reading, online coursework, clinical hours, and projects/assignments.
- Optional: Students may earn 6 college credits from Raritan Valley Community College, if they qualify. The option for college credit is available for the summer Youth in EMS program only.
Students may also have some of their tuition costs covered if they volunteer with a local rescue squad that participates in the NJ Training Fund. You do not need to be an EMT to join a rescue squad and students are encouraged to start the process of volunteering now if they have not done so already. Local rescue squads need time to process your application and you should not wait for acceptance into this program to contact them. Training fund forms must be submitted on the first day of class with no exceptions.
and are taken on a rolling admission until all seats are taken. Please apply as soon as you know you can attend all class sessions. The full schedule for each course is posted on the RWJBarnabas site. Any questions may be directed to RWJBarnabas EMT Program Director Chris Ireland at firstname.lastname@example.org.