Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School
Somerset County Vocational and Technical High School district athletic department seeks to provide a dynamic program that enhances the educational development of each student athlete.
Studies show that, on average, high school students who are involved in athletics maintain a higher GPA. Additionally, student athletes have a more positive self-image, understand the value of perseverance and hard work and tend to view failure not as a setback, but rather as an important step in their road to success.
Through positive role modeling and exemplary coaching, the SCVTHS athletic leadership team is committed to running an athletic program where students learn how to the harness their own innate leadership skills, form strong social bonds and work as a team to achieve common goals.
To ensure the above objectives are met, the SCVTHS athletics department has developed a Coaching Framework to be followed by all coaches.
Athletic Sport Administration Expectations
- Boasts an in-depth knowledge of the sport.
- Through frequent participation in clinics, remains current with the latest trends in the sport as well as new training methods and developmental strategies.
- Working closely with guidance counselors and school personnel, has a continued awareness of each student athlete’s grades.
- Monitors student conduct on an ongoing basis.
- With an understanding of district protocol, refers all requests and grievances through proper chain of command.
- Maintains and protects equipment, storage facilities and equipment rooms, coaches’ offices, as well as practice and game facilities.
- Makes recommendations to athletic coordinator regarding changes in policy, methods and procedures.
- Attends local, state, departmental and staff meetings as required.
- Has an in depth understanding of, and communicates to athletes, training rules and any other regulations of the sport.
- Instills in athletes a respect for equipment and provides instruction on its proper care and use.
- Enforces rules around which areas of the building are authorized for which students, and when.
- Enforces appropriate disciplinary action when needed.
In Season Expectations:
- Provides an acceptable teaching/coaching environment that is conducive to the development of each athlete.
- Runs well-organized, highly instructional practice sessions.
- Ensures injury prevention guidelines are in place and practiced
- In the event of an injury, adheres to prescribed routines including incident reports and nurses notification. Communicates with athlete, doctor and parents.
- Maintains open communication with athletes and parents
- Understands that each athlete comes to the team with individual differences, needs and interests, and acts in a fair and unbiased manner at all times.
- Ensures general cleanliness of locker rooms through pre- and post-game inspections. Reports all damage as necessary.
- Maintains storage room security and controls the use of all equipment
- Ensures timely communication of game reports, as well as changes in rosters, schedules and/or transportation.
- Is responsible for the facility his/her team uses. Coaches should be the last to leave an area ensuring that the room is orderly, the lights are out, the doors are locked, the showers are off and the gym, field, bench area, etc., are orderly. Students should not be given keys at any time.
- Emphasize to all athletes as you approach the end of the season the importance of turning in uniforms immediately after the season is over and why it is necessary.
- Throughout the season enter game scores into www.njschoolsports.com
Post Season Expectations:
- Ensures all equipment is accounted for and submits end-of-season report of equipment and season recap. No athlete will be permitted to participate in another sport until his/her equipment has been accounted for.
- Identifies athletes eligible for end-of-season awards.
- Prepares, runs and attends end-of-season award banquets.
- Holds off-season training sessions, including conditioning and weight training.
- Collect any keys from assistants
- Maintains good attendance.
- Is a positive role model for student athletes.
- Is professional in demeanor and dress. Uses self control.
- Displays enthusiasm for the sport.
- Partners and effectively communicates with students, parents/guardians, opponents and staff members.
- Maintains organized, accurate and thorough records.