THIRD ANNUAL 'PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN DAY' TO BE HELD AT SCVTHS
The 21 gun salute from the 2016 Proud to be an American Day
For the third year, Ed Graf, a Social Studies Instructor at Somerset County Vocational & Technical High School, has put together an event titled Proud to be an American Day. Proud to be an American Day will be held on May 25, 2017 with events beginning at 8:30 A.M. Mr. Graf’s vision and purpose for the day is to teach students the importance of honoring our veterans and the reasons we celebrate Memorial Day. In an effort to expand the event county-wide, Mr. Graf has sent invitations to all the high schools within Somerset County to attend Proud to be an American Day.
Some of the day’s events include:
- Honoring the memories of fallen veterans, promoting patriotism, creating unity as a school community and nation
- Special tributes will be paid to Marine Corps Captain Stanford Shaw III and Marine Corps Sergeant Nilton Cacoilo
- Union and Ridge High School representatives to attend in honor of special tribute members
- Demonstrations by armored vehicles
- Wreathes to be presented
- Bagpipe and bugle player to perform
- 21 gun salute will be performed by American Legion Post 35 out of Union, New Jersey.
- Cannon volleys
- S. Navy helicopter(s) presentations
- Honor Guard students from Law & Public Safety program will hold a “Posting the Colors”
- Members of the Theater Arts program will perform patriotic musical selections
Following the events, a luncheon will be held for all of the attending veterans, honorees, and their families.
For more information contact James Strickhart at (908) 526-8900, x7169 or firstname.lastname@example.org.